February, 2006

Message from Nelson & Company, P.S., CPAs

Q & A ---Claiming dependants after a divorce.

  Q:  My accountant tells me that I can't claim my kid after my divorce.
Is this true?
For the 2005 tax year, the most significant change is the new simplified definition for dependants. The IRS has five tests. The major test that will cause a change for millions of Americans is the principal place the children live. Children under 19 need only live more than half the year with a parent to qualify as a dependant. The change affects head of household status, exemption for dependants, earned income credit, day care credit, and the child tax credit. The new rules are extremely tricky (not simple) so consult a tax pro if you have any questions.

Certified Public Accountants


Inside This Issue....

Prison Time for 'Johnny Liberty'
City Officials Arrested on Tax Evasion Charge
Admin. for Sheriff's Office
Filed False Returns for
234 Police Officers
IRS Question Corner


Esau Moore III, a former Programs Manager for the Chatham County Sheriff's Department in Savannah, Georgia, has pleaded guilty to filing of a false tax return for the year 1999.

A graduate of Savannah State University, Moore admitted that he tried to evade taxes for the tax year 1999 by submitting a false return.

Testimony of IRS Special Agent Mary Roemer showed that Moore also prepared false tax returns for law enforcement officers from the Department of Corrections, the Chatham County Sheriff's Department and other agencies.

Moore told officers that he could obtain large refunds from the IRS through the use of special deductions for law enforcement officers. Moore also told officers that certain deductions did not require receipts or documentation.

The evidence showed that Moore assisted in the preparation of 234 tax returns for the tax years 1999, 2000 and 2001, which reported false and fraudulent deductions in the amount of $4,791,726.00, resulting in a loss to the government of $657,959.

Moore faces up to three years in prison, a $250,000 fine and up to one year of supervised release.

Want to subscribe to this NEWSLETTER?
E-mail Us: Firm@DNelsonCPAs.com

IRS Times & Inquirer
253-752-9522 | 1-800-669-0137

Prison Time for 'Johnny Liberty'

A man in Hawaii who went by the nickname "Johnny Liberty" has pleaded guilty to obstructing the Department of Justice and the IRS.

John David Van Hove faces a maximum penalty of three years in prison, one year of supervised release, and a $250,000 fine for the obstruction charge. He also faces up to 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a $250,000 fine for a wire fraud charge.

According to the indictment, Van Hove's crimes were related to a financial planning business he operated from Maui, Hawaii. According to court documents, Van Hove offered his clients various schemes for hiding income and assets from the IRS, including a method by which an individual could purportedly remove himself from the taxing jurisdiction of the United States and the use of offshore trusts linked to credit cards for use in the United States.

"The use of fraudulent trust arrangements and offshore banking for the purpose of evading legal tax obligations is a criminal offense, and the IRS continues to actively pursue allegations involving the sale or use of abusive tax schemes," said Nancy J. Jardini, IRS Chief, Criminal Investigation in a prepared statement.

Van Hove has been detained and imprisoned since his arrest on May 9, 2005, in Ashland, OR.

City Officials Arrested on Tax Evasion Charge

In Springfield, MA., a former mayoral chief of staff, a former Springfield police officer and a bar owner were arrested on federal tax.

Anthony Ardolino, Chester Ardolino and Matthew Campagnari were all charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States and four counts each of filing false income tax returns.

Anthony Ardolino, 35, formerly worked as the chief of staff for former Mayor Michael Albano. Ardolino's brother, Chester, 38, was a police officer for the Springfield Police. And Campagnari, 39, is a private real estate developer and bar owner.

The indictment alleges that three men attempted to conceal income and expenses of the bars they owned as well as their personal incomes. In all, the three men allegedly failed to pay approximately $300,000 in federal taxes. If convicted, the defendants each face up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000 for each charge.


Question:     A colleague told me about this Offer in Compromise program. He says you can reduce your tax debt by an enormous amount. He said he'd heard "pennies on the dollar." But I don't know - I'm skeptical. What is this Offer in Compromise program?

Answer:    What your colleague told you is right. You can reduce your tax debt by pennies on the dollar through the IRS's Offer in Compromise program.

Here's the deal: The IRS has learned over long years of tracking down deadbeat taxpayers that the door-beating approach doesn't work. Being more negotiable has actually allowed the IRS to bring more taxpayers into compliance.

For this reason, the government has the Offer in Compromise program for taxpayers who have amassed substantial tax debt but are financially unable to pay the debt. If you apply, you could indeed reduce your tax debt by pennies on the dollar!

You should first consult a qualified tax professional. He or she will analyze your previous returns, ensuring that they are completely accurate. After all, what if you actually owe less to the IRS than you previously thought?

Once you know the exact figure of what you owe, you and your qualified tax professional will meet with the IRS. At this time, your tax professional will negotiate a settlement amount that will allow you to rid yourself of looming tax debt once and for all.

It's really that simple. If you apply for the program, getting rid of tax debt can be easy. What's more, even if you don't apply for this particular program, you have other options, including what's known as an Installment Agreement, which allows you to pay down your tax debt over time.

For a free, no-risk consultation, call my office at 253-752-9522 or send me an E-mail at Firm@DNelsonCPAs.com. Do it today!

--Our Policies-- www.DNelsonCPAs.com

Nelson & Company, P.S., CPAs Since 1979

Contact Us
Back to our Home Page
Back to Last Page Visited